Egyptian Lentil Soup
I was genuinely shocked by how brilliant this recipe was. I made a week’s worth of lunches to take to work, and gleefully prepped my toppings every day before happily plonking it down to eat.
I have made almost no change to the recipe, which I found at These Peas Are Hollow.
Seriously. How good are lentils!?
- olive oil spray
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground hot chili
- 1/2 teaspoon hot curry powder
- 2 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 450g can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups red lentils Salt and pepper to taste
- Greek yoghurt
- Tin of chickpeas
Spray a light coat of olive oil into a large saucepan, and put it on a medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic and saute until soft, about 10-15 minutes. Add the cumin, coriander, chili powder, and curry powder and stir to coat the veggies with the spices. Cook for a few minutes until the spices are aromatic. Add the tomatoes and the stock and bring to a simmer. Season generously with salt and pepper and add the lentils. Simmer for about 30-40 minutes, until lentils and vegetables are very soft.
In a few batches, puree the soup in a food processor until completely smooth. Transfer back to pot and season with salt and pepper to taste. If you like it a bit more spicy, you can add a little cayenne pepper and more black pepper.
To serve, here are some recommendations. I know it’s easy to skip the toppings in a recipe - but the combination of bits and pieces served with this soup elevate it from good to great. I promise it’s worth the extra work!
Mix some fresh lemon juice with some Greek yoghurt, and splash a dollop on top. Chop up some chives and sprinkle. And the piece de resistance is roasted chickpeas - just a tin of chickpeas, rinsed and dried, rolled in a bit of olive oil and the spices you’ve already used, and stuck in a really hot over til they’re crispy. Boom!
- leila-ann likes this
- recoveringsugeraddict likes this
- loraewinaga likes this
- jramboz likes this
- alixinveggieland reblogged this from escapefromtunasalad and added:
- s19c20 likes this
- more-than-skin-deep reblogged this from escapefromtunasalad
- annasiansensation reblogged this from sorpresasdulces
- sorpresasdulces reblogged this from escapefromtunasalad
- lostunicorns likes this
- mlrrors likes this
- fat-murderer likes this
- thehalfassvegetarian reblogged this from escapefromtunasalad
- thehalfassvegetarian likes this
- tequilabloodstream likes this
- iamroyanthony likes this
- healthy-fulfilled-content likes this
- escapefromtunasalad posted this